Sunday, August 23, 2009

20090823a

I collected these thoughts yesterday afternoon, my darlingest:

Dear darlingest Annelies Marie,

Motive of Country

What is my motive, some might wonder, behind my desire to see my own nation prosper? As if this were something unnatural to the common call of human citizenship - it is my love for our shared humanity - that drives me to desire to see things change in my nation and by extension, in our failing world, for the better, my darlingest.

Every calling that beckons Man towards the labors to which his or her life was intended by his or her one common Creator upon this earth, that animates the breathing within his or her soul, drives into motion the spirit within his or her being so that our humanity is constantly in a state of becoming. For while time is a flow, Man is an unfinished work.

We call ourselves by so many different words to describe this motion e.g. Filipino, American, Australian, Christian, Iraqi, Farmer, Artist, Teacher, etc. but it is not these motions that keep us apart, it is our inability to understand that these motions are means that are inclined towards the same end which is the perfection of our humanity.

Now, this perfection is the labor of our Creator and the mandate of heaven so must not trouble us so much as the acceptance of our own humanity.

But what I am trying to say here is this, that far from these labors driving us further apart, these labors are the things that should bind us together. What I personally have come to believe is this: That we are all, at every instant, despite these many human labors and in spite of our disparate human weaknesses, a human being - each and every one of us - equal in dignity as well as in our potential to do good.

This is how I see my fellow man - apart from any malice which seek to debase our spirit and distinct form the treacherous adultery of war - I seek to see us first and foremost for who we truly are - human beings and citizens to each other. So in distinguishing what we are and who we are apart from what we are not and who we must not become, I have come to love my own nation not as a thing to be held against its own will by my feeble hands but as a labor of life to be surrendered unto by a willing heart. Because if we see us as souls apart from this midnight darkness, we are indeed, something to be seen - like living lights, we are, in the darkness made to reflect the One light upon this visible creation that all creation may know that God is and that our LORD is one LORD alone.

The vision of that crystal blue sphere fascinates me just as much as that same vision of a darkness that is inseparable from the void terrifies me because it affects all of us and I know that without my friends I am nothing. It takes a whole sky to lead us back to the dawn, one whole firmament.

Our LORD wills that all of us be saved and so, in spite of my own limits and failures, I am also likewise filled with this same desire for who am I to contend with my God for it is He Who we all must follow. These two questions one must always be ready to answer at the east gate of our returning to Eden: Who are we without our LORD? Who are we without each other?

For I am not someone to follow, I am someone to work with and I am always glad to work alongside my friends.

And if I were to advise anyone as regards to our nations, it is this: Our world may seem to our minds divided not because it is but because the labors of building up the inhabited earth must be ordered according to our nations and therefore, the natural resources of the earth itself is not meant to be divided against our nations but must be a thing freely shared by the labors of all of our one family of nations. We may draw lines upon the earth but not upon our hearts for love can never be divided against itself.

Questions as regards to sovereignty of our nations, in my own view of these things, are never questions that have as their answers, those things derived from the division of war but from our belongings with each other as interdependent human communities - as wholes upon wholes - in God and Country, for God and Country. It is in the people, for the people, by the people. Therefore, time, treasure and terrain can be said to be negotiable things but life itself is non-negotiable, above all human life.

For my own nation, I enjoin us - however and whatever our own little parts in this great labor of life and of hope - return to our labors together that we may prosper the peace, prosper the people.

Slowly, ever as those trees grow, if we shall learn again to believe in each other in God, applying ourselves to the task of Country, then it is only just as true to say that we shall certainly bear the fruits of our togetherness. And it is said that these fruits last forever.

I love you, my loveliest love.

Always to always,

Pusing

No comments: